Friday, November 12, 2010

Get it, Got it, Good.

Hello Interns, it's Friday.

One of my favorite books is about becoming a nun.

It's true. It's called Forever and Ever, Amen and it was written by Sister Karol Jackowski. The entire book is written about the seven years it takes to become a fully professed sister.
The unusual thing about this book is that it takes place in the late '60s/early '70s. Around the time that Vatican II came about.

Vatican II was the papal decree that the Catholic church needed to change. Mass in English. No alter rails. And even the life of a nun would change.

The thing I like is that Karol is so animated about everything that happened. And how she dealt with communal life.
To read about the struggles and joys that grieved and celebrated together makes me yearn for a more communal life.

Doesn't the bible tell us we should go through life together?
That we should help one another, and rejoice when they do. Grieve when they do.

Now, I ask of you, my fellow interns. Let's be communal. I'm not saying I want you all moving into my room, because, frankly it's tiny.

And my parents would be angry.

But, let's be together. Whether or not in person, in spirit. Be there for one another emotionally.

Yeah, that'd be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment